Top 30 Black Love Movies
Some of Black Culture’s most iconic moments were, and still are, the classic films representing black love and romance. Whether in the form of dramas or comedies with the typical lineup of star-studded actors like Taye Diggs or Morris Chestnut and actresses like Sanaa Lathan or Nia Long, among many others, these movies will always have a special place within black culture. In an unofficial order, with the more known and popular near the top, view a list of some of the most memorable films representing black romance in the form of black love movies.
1. Soul Food, more of a drama displaying ups and downs of family and relationships than a romantic film. This classic film stars Vanessa Williams, Nia Long, Mekhi Phifer, Vivica A Fox and many more.
2. Love & Basketball, a 2000 film produced by Spike Lee and starring Omar Epps and Sanaa Lathan as two childhood friends who both have the love for basketball that will eventually grow into having love for each other.
3. Think Like A Man, an iconic film based around Steve Harvey’s bestseller with a star studded cast that is center around various types of relationships.
4. How Stella Got Her Groove Back, an all-star cast featuring Angela Bassett, Taye Diggs, Regina King and Whoopi Goldberg who all star in this romantic film about Stella (Angela Bassett) finding love while on a much needed vacation.
5. Waiting to Exhale, from Whitney Houston to Angel Bassett to Loretta Devine is a film about a group of supportive women who seek help through their trouble relationships.
6. The Wood, a group of childhood friends reminiscing about growing up as kids and their first loves while living in Inglewood.
7. Why Do Fools Fall In Love, three former lovers, played by Halle Berry, Vivica A Fox and Lela Rochon, of a famous singer, played by Lorenz Tate, battle for his estate after he passes away.
8. Boomerang, one of Eddie Murphy’s most known films, co-starring the likes of Halle Berry, Robin Givens, Martin Lawrence and others, features a man who is experiencing karma, what goes around comes around, through his mistreatment of women.
9. Poetic Justice, an iconic film with Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur whose characters build a bond with each other during a long road trip.
10. A Thin Line Between Love Hate, Martin Lawrence’s character falls for the wrong crazy and revengeful woman.
11. The Best Man, debuting in 1999 is another star-studded film produced by Spike Lee and directed by Malcolm Lee as friends reunite for a life changing wedding.
12. Brown Sugar, another love movie featuring Sanaa Lathan and Taye Diggs, along with others, is based around two childhood friends who both grow up to be involved in the music industry as their paths cross each other.
13. Love Jones, starring Larenz Tate and Nia Long as two people who are seeking love from each other.
14. Jason Lyric, a beautiful love story starring Allen Payne and Jada Pinkett Smith
15. Think Like a Man Too, sequel to the box office hit “Think Like a Man”.
16. Why Did I Get Married, one of Tyler Perry’s first successful films stars an all-star cast, from Janet Jackson to Malik Yoba, as this film shows the battle of holding a marriage together.
17. The Best Man Holiday, sequel to the 1999 film ‘The Best Man’ as the original cast of characters reunite to spend Christmas together.
18. Daddy’s Little Girls, another classic Tyler Perry film stars two characters, played by Gabrielle Union and Idris Elba, who come from two totally different worlds but somehow would eventually fall in love with each other.
19. Two Can Play That Game, a romantic comedy that features Vivica A. Fox, Morris Chestnut, Anthony Anderson, Bobby Brown, Gabrielle Union, Wendy Raquel Robinson and Tamala Jones.
20. Deliver Us from Eva, LL Cool J is paid to date the unpleasant Eva, played by Gabrielle Union, but would later fall in love with her.
21. About Last Night, a remake of two romantic classics, this film follows two couples and stars Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Joy Bryant, and Michael Ealy.
22. Beyond the Lights, an indie film that featured Danny Glover and Machine Gun Kelly
23. Something New, starring Sanaa Lathan, and also featuring Mike Epps, Donald Faison and Blair Underwood, is a romantic comedy about interracial dating.
24. Just Wright, basketball helps bring two characters together, played by Queen Latifah and Common.
25. Jumping the Broom, a romantic comedy about an upcoming wedding with Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Loretta Devine, Mike Epps, Meagan Good and more.
26. Our Family Wedding, a Latino family and an African American family are force to come together after Marcus Boyd, played by Lance Gross, and Lucia Ramirez, played by America Ferrera, are getting set to marry each other.
27. The Brothers, a story of love that follows four brothers, featuring Morris Chestnut, D.L. Hughley, Bill Bellamy, and Shemar Moore.
28. Disappearing Acts, a television movie that starred Wesley Snipes and Sanaa Lathan in a romantic drama.
29. The Photograph, the newest film on this list, produced by William Packer and starring Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield.
30. Why Did I Get Married Too, Tyler Perry’s sequel to his hit film Why Did I Get Married?
Bonus: Not Easily Broken, directed by Bill Duke is a film based around the TD Jakes book starring Morris Chestnut, Taraji P. Henson, and Kevin Hart.